Congratulations to the staff of the "Rhode Island Catholic" and its Spanish counterpart "El Catolico" for the 11 awards they won at last week's Catholic Press Association national meeting on Friday, June 3rd, 2016 at the Catholic Press Association Awards Ceremony in St. Louis, Missouri.
Rhode Island Catholic
Our staff works really hard each week to publish an excellent paper and we are grateful! We are proud of our newspaper. It's an important part of our Diocese and it provides an important service for our Church and community in spreading the Joy of the Gospel! - Bishop Tobin, Facebook, June 7, 2016
1.) Best Coverage of an International Event, 2nd Place: Rick Snizek for "The Challenges of Living Behind the Wall in the West Bank."
2.) Best Coverage of the Papal Visit to Cuba and the U.S., Honorable Mention: Rick Snizek, Lauren Clem for "From White House to Main Street, Pope's Visit a Major Inspiration to Americans."
3.) Best Single Color Ad Originating with the Publication, 3rd Place: Laura Kilgus for "Golden Lamb Buttery."
4.) Best Coverage of Vocations to the Priesthood, Religious Life or Diaconate, Honorable Mention: Lauren Clem for "PC Grad Who Met Pope Francis Now Pursues His Own Vocation."
5.) Best Coverage of the Year of Consecrated Life, Honorable Mention: Lauren Clem for "Mercy Sisters Have Provided More Than 160 Years of Compassion in Diocese."
1) Best Editorial Page, 1st Place: Silvio Cuellar, Sara Perin-Monterroso and Luis Peralta
2) Individual Excellence Editor, 2nd Place: Silvio Cuellar
3) Individual Excellence Writer, 2nd Place: Ana María Delgado
4) Best cover of the Papal visit to Cuba and the U.S., 2nd Place: Rick Snizek, Silvio Cuellar and Lauren Clem
5) Best Regular Column by a Bishop, 2nd Place: Most Rev. Thomas J. Tobin
6) Best Column Spiritual Life, Honorable Mention: Silvio Cuellar for "El Rincon de la Familia"
Catholic Press Association hosts the Catholic Media Conference each year, where decision makers in Catholic communications and those interested in the field come together to share information, to learn about the changing industry, and to network with each other.